Filmfare Short Film Awards are a part of the annual Filmfare Awards. The First Filmfare Award was held on 21 March 1954 in Bombay (now Mumbai). However, the Short Film Awards were introduced in the 62nd Filmfare Awards (2017).
Filmfare Awards are one of the oldest and prestigious Cinema Awards in India. Several award categories were introduced in the Filmfare Awards from time to time. It mainly happened due to the upgradations of techniques and the mindset of film viewers.
Filmfare Short Film Awards was also a result of the changing world. Digital transformation was quite visible. Thereafter, the importance of digital platforms started growing gradually.
Filmfare decided to introduce Short Films along with Main Stream Films. These awards aim to promote and facilitate new filmmaking talent on digital platforms.
Thus, the Filmfare Magazine (Time Group) introduced the Short Film Awards. The Awards became a part of the 62nd Filmfare Awards (2017). The first ward was announced through a Facebook live stream.
However, the second Filmfare Short Films Award was held in Mumbai on 20 January 2018 along with the 63rd Filmfare Awards.
Filmfare Short Film Award – Categories
Short Film Awards have been categorized into five categories namely Best Short Film (People’s Choice), Best Short Film (Fiction), Best Short Film (Non-Fiction), Best Actor (Male) in a Short Film, and Best Actor (Female) in a Short Film.
As the name suggests, Best Short Film (People’s Choice) is voted by the public. The public is allowed to vote through Filmfare’s digital platforms.
A jury is formed every year to judge films for the remaining four categories i.e. Best Short Film (Fiction), Best Short Film (Non-Fiction), Best Actor (Male) in a Short Film, and Best Actor (Female) in a Short Film. The jury usually consists of professional filmmakers.
Karan Johar, Nikkhil Advani, Kabir Khan, Onir, and Shakun Batra were jury members for the second Short Film Awards held in 2018.
General People are invited to submit their film entries to the platform made for the very reason. An opening and closing date are also given to submit the entry.
Filmfare Edit Team and the Jury Members go through every film carefully. After going through each film submitted, they consider a few films for the award. Usually, the list contains thirty (30) films. Thereafter, the winner is selected either by Jury Members or by the Public as the case may be.
Filmfare Short Film Awards – Highlights
- The first Short Film Awards were given in the 62nd Filmfare Awards (2017).
- Khamakha became the first film to win Best Short Film ( People’s Choice).
- Manoj Bajpayee became the first winner of Best Actor (Male).
- He won the award for the film Taandav.
- Tisca Chopra won the first award in the category of Best Actor (Female)
- She won the award for the film Chutney.
- Film Chutney won the first award for Best Short Film (Fiction).
- Documentary film Matitali Kushti won the first award for Best Short Film (Non-Fiction).
Complete List of Filmfare Short Film Awards
- Filmfare Short Film Awards (2017)
- Filmfare Short Film Awards (2018)
- Filmfare Short Film Awards (2019)
- Filmfare Short Film Awards (2020)
- Filmfare Short Film Awards (2021)